After another long weekend, the Boston Red Sox continued to make moves in the offseason.

Lonnie Chisenhall was acquired from the Cleveland Indians on Saturday for outfielders Jackie Bradley Jr. and Austin Jackson. After being determined to upgrade defensively in left field, the team also got Rafael Devers to replace Mookie Betts.

As a pitcher, Chisenhall was 4-6 with a 4.35 earned-run average in 72 games for the Indians last season. He led the American League with 66 runs.

“We’re very excited,” President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski said on a conference call on Saturday. “He is a complete player. He can play all four infield positions. He can run. He has power. He has control. He’s been a major league champion, and he’s got experience. He’s a hell of a guy.”

The Red Sox sold off a lot of high-priced talent in December when they traded Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers for top prospect Corey Seager.

The Red Sox, who play the Dodgers in two National League Division Series games this season, also got Carlos Correa from the Houston Astros in an MLB probe into an alleged performance-enhancing drugs policy violation involving two players, including Correa.

As part of a deal with Major League Baseball in November, the Astros have agreed to keep Ryan Costello, an investigator, at the team. Costello is the person who discovered the existence of the blanket ban on PEDs in 2012 and reported it to Major League Baseball. Costello’s role has expanded since then because of increased responsibilities.

Dombrowski said Costello’s presence was part of an agreement in which MLB would drop its appeal of the reinstatement of outfielder Jabari Blash.

Dombrowski said Saturday that the Red Sox would be careful about using Costello in an investigation this spring.

“What we’ve done and the decisions that we’ve made with Jabari Blash and Ryan Costello, it’s been pursuant to that agreement,” Dombrowski said. “I’m not going to prejudge anything, but it’s clear that there’s got to be guidelines on how to utilize him. I can’t handicap what will or won’t happen and what will be done because I don’t know enough. But there’s a board, and there’s certain procedures that have to be followed.”

Dombrowski also said the Red Sox would accept suspensions for PED usage by players in the future.

“We would have put some model out there,” he said. “I think the Players Assn. has been very open and willing to look at it. I think it’s a good idea.”

ALSO

Next up: Tensions flared briefly in Coors Field during the Mariners-Rockies game

Manny Machado hits yet another two-run homer in victory over Tigers

Paul Molitor selected as big league manager of the year after breakthrough season in Minnesota