Abbie Campbell, 6, on vacation in Mexico, suffered a 2,500-volt “death ray” from a jellyfish that just landed on her head. (Courtesy of KFOR)

A 6-year-old girl was taken to the hospital after being stunned by a 2,500-volt “death ray” from a giant jellyfish, named Nicrox angelinae. Abbie Campbell’s father, Eddie, swam the waters off a resort in Tulum, Mexico, and was able to grab her after she was floored by the electrical shock. “She was floored with a shock,” the girl’s mother, Sandi, said. “She literally just fell over and started convulsing and her eyes rolled back in her head.” Doctors told her father the staff was prepared to give his daughter a third heart attack, but was able to release some of the charge. When they did, they discovered the jellyfish had also punctured the small intestine. They helped her to shore, and she was sent to Children’s Hospital in Oklahoma City for emergency surgery to remove the injured organ.

“The nerves and stuff were gone in her stomach,” according to Dr. Richard Watkins, the hospital’s director of pediatric surgery. The Jell-O monster added that the little girl’s intestines “were pretty much hanging out in her abdominal cavity and she was bleeding.” Dr. Watkins got the call around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, and there was only enough time to get her in before sunrise. They didn’t know if she’d live or die, and thought they were losing. “The doctor was like, ‘If you can get her to the hospital, you’re going to get her,'” her mother said. “I went to the side of the road, and my friend said she was coming down this road, and we’re actually fortunate that we have two family members who were nearby in town, and so we were able to get a taxi over.” The surgery was successful, but she could be in the hospital for three or four weeks.

So you may be seeing a lot of these crazy objects in the ocean — look for tiny probes that the jellyfish put into the water. They can search for food. I've gone under one, but I can't recall what it was. Also, you get eels in the river in France. — Toby Shire () February 7, 2019

Abbie Campbell received a bunch of medicine to help with the shock and was later expected to make a full recovery. A team from her local hospital in Newcastle, Okla., traveled to Tulum to help, including Dr. Michael Arnold, who also attended to James Bond actor Daniel Craig at a similar wound to his nose a year ago. Using defibrillators, additional medical equipment, and breathing tubes, doctors knew they needed to treat the fire like they would treat someone with cardiac arrest, not just a sunburn. They had to sedate the victim, even though they were sure that this jellyfish would kill her. It will take longer to extract her gut, with the operation lasting at least 12 hours.

(The Panama City jellyfish has attacked an estimated 800 people in North and Central America in recent years. Many have been injured enough to be hospitalized, others are reported dead. Among the more common bystanders to get stung are tourists.)

Read the full story at CNN.

Related

This baby gets shot by a jellyfish and the Internet is predictably appalled

Couple pictured on the beach near Roswell, N.M., get stung by jellyfish and are hospitalized

The unpleasant world of stingrays — six of the most stinging types of jellyfish