Harvey Weinstein's attorney fired off an angry letter to a New York Times columnist defending his client as the scandal enveloping the movie mogul expanded beyond accusations of sexual assault.
Attorney Benjamin Brafman wrote Sunday to me that he "looks forward to the truth coming out in this case."
He also warned me about calling Weinstein's future "shadows."
Weinstein has never been convicted of a crime, and has denied having nonconsensual sex with anyone. He has admitted, however, that he engaged in long-standing, consensual relationships with some of his accusers.
Nevertheless, Brafman said there is no evidence that the allegations against Weinstein were false.
"Given the presumption of guilt in this case, there is no defense for the crimes alleged," Brafman wrote. "Mr. Weinstein is looking forward to the truth coming out in this case."
More than 100 women have come forward since 2017 with accusations of sexual harassment and assault against Weinstein. Some of them were former and current actresses, while others were Weinstein's longtime friends.
He was booted from his eponymous movie company in October and has not publicly responded to the latest accusations, but reached a $160-million settlement with one woman, actress Rose McGowan, in 1997.
Some of his alleged victims, such as actress Asia Argento, came forward with their accusations early last year. Others were women who had been starring in his films.
The allegations followed a story published Oct. 5 in The New York Times that outlined allegations of harassment by Weinstein against an Italian model who was following him around Manhattan in 2015, with the Times columnist reporting on their hotel room encounter.
Weinstein himself has denied having nonconsensual sex with anyone, although he admitted that he had an affair with Argento. He also admitted to ordering sex from actors Armie Hammer and Michael Angarano and tweeted screenshots of text messages between himself and the actor.
Those investigations triggered the initial criminal complaint filed by Manhattan prosecutors earlier this month.
Argento and Argento's attorney, Gloria Allred, appeared Monday at a press conference to call on the Justice Department to investigate Weinstein's film company for possible criminal charges.
Allred mentioned the impending decision by jurors in the Weinstein case, when Judge James Burke instructed them not to speculate on the outcome of the case.
"It is our client's fervent hope that the government will file criminal charges against Harvey Weinstein with an eye to prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law," Allred said.
Weinstein's assistant, according to the Weinstein case complaint, had received a naked picture of Argento in late October 2016 and had been warned by him in September that he was interested in having sexual relations with her.
Argento denied the complaint, however, saying that she had not met Weinstein until the fall of 2015 and had made the picture because she was distressed to find him in a hotel room and was "terrified that he would assault me."
When contacted Monday by the Los Angeles Times, the FBI said it could not confirm or deny whether a probe is underway.