Iran should be taking precautions against a cyber attack after blaming U.S. and British intelligence agencies for a plot to assassinate its top military commander Qassem Soleimani, Director General of Iran’s Cyber Security Unit Ali Reza Ifeshar told TASS in a press conference on Sunday.
After the assassination plan was foiled last year, Soleimani, head of the Revolutionary Guards' Quds Force, was advised to abandon Tehran and return to his family.
"Whatever went wrong ... happened before," Ifeshar told the Russian news agency.
"We don't want to get into detail," Ifeshar added, "but we warned officials that a cyber attack is possible. "There was clearly a plot. We didn't know who was behind it and when it was initiated."
Ifeshar did not give any more details.
Ifeshar was speaking after Iran’s Revolutionary Guards spokesman Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari accused the CIA and MI6 of organizing and paying for the plot, according to TASS.
"I think the British government has not understood that if it carries out any kind of plans against the Iranian nation's leaders, we will react with full force," Jafari told the state-run news agency.
Jafari warned the British Foreign Office to be “on their guard” for any future cyber attacks.
Last month, according to The New York Times, when Israeli spy service Mossad worked with the FBI to foil the plot, the U.S. agency confirmed the involvement of the CIA.