Juan Carlos Unterriz, the lawyer of Plácido Domingo, said that he had to cancel a $500,000 personal appearance from Domingo by the Spanish tenor because of new allegations against him. Mr. Unterriz said on Monday evening that a lawsuit against Domingo was the reason he pulled out of the agreement with Mr. Domingo’s managers. “No matter what price is quoted, a client is bound to cancel.” The Spanish singer Javier Camarena has claimed in court documents that Domingo had raped him in 1998 when Camarena was 22 years old and he was on a concert tour, according to Reuters. The story states that Camarena went to hospital about 50 years ago and doctors concluded that he had been drugged and then assaulted by a “large male.” “I wish Mr. Domingo would sue me,” Camarena told Reuters. “I wish he would make the right decision, I’m just trying to get to the truth of the matter. The truth is he raped me and I need to be able to tell the truth about it.”
The Los Angeles Times reports that on Saturday, Domingo had issued a statement in which he said, “I categorically deny all the accusations brought against me,” adding that “all of these rumors have been circulating for more than 20 years, just as the accusations against me have been throughout my career.” Domingo went on to say, “Let there be no doubt: I am innocent of these accusations,” CBS News reports. He wrote that he would be handling the legal matter himself. Domingo had not been scheduled to perform with the Los Angeles Opera until 2020, according to Reuters.