Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph have had a mostly unpleasant and public relationship in the lead-up to their professional football careers becoming official, but according to Garrett on Saturday, it was Rudolph who walked away on a verbal handshake over a racially charged remark.

Garrett was a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft; Rudolph became the first quarterback taken in the second round.

Rudolph denied that he made racial remarks to Garrett after the University of Texas at Austin's Pro Day last month, but Garrett spoke with Mike & Mike radio in Dallas on Saturday, and he talked about the exchange at length.

"I'm not going to go into what exactly happened," Garrett said. "He called me a stupid n-word, and I'd never say anything that's disrespectful. I took offense to that.

"He sent me a message, 'Hey, we're going to be together one day,' and I told him that's fine and if that's how he was feeling, it was a good thing for him to feel that way. He definitely didn't live up to his word."

In his comments, Garrett also said he discussed the comment with the College Football Playoff selection committee, which worked with the NFL Draft Advisory Committee to help make its top-25 rankings.

"I told the CFP and the NFL I didn't want to be involved with that guy," Garrett said. "It was disrespectful."

Rudolph's agent, Steve Zucker, then told the Associated Press that Garrett shouldn't have brought the matter up in public, and added that "Mason has no problem with Myles at all. His comments were overblown and unfair."

Rudolph, meanwhile, took to Twitter on Saturday to explain what happened.

"This was a 30-second exchange that has been blown out of proportion," he said. "I don't believe the n-word is offensive in any way, and did not say that about Myles Garrett. Myles, for any player and any fan to believe I was talking about him, by accident or design, is misguided and is not what I intended."

Read more at 5min.com