Following criticism about charging for Autopilot technology, Tesla said in a press release issued on Monday that it would give customers the option to add the technology free for three years in their used cars.

In the release, Tesla revealed that it would make no requests of customer consent to install the Autopilot hardware, and customers will be able to ask for it if their car shows signs of Autopilot usage. It said the service would not be available in all vehicles and is only available to customers with the Enhanced Autopilot option or existing Enhanced Autopilot.

Reassuring to those who carpool or drive mostly within the protected areas on Interstate highways.

The latest Autopilot update was released over the air on the 15th.

The release came a day after New York Times investigative reporters used Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot feature to drive 20 miles through the Wisconsin countryside, handing over the controls to a licensed driver to drive the car.

Tesla’s Autopilot is also available in the Model S starting at $79,000 (the Model S comes with a 7-inch touchscreen instrument cluster, or infotainment system). Model X and Model 3 are released later this year.

However, Tesla has been facing scrutiny over its charging for Autopilot. That prompted Tesla to lower the $8,000 to $9,000 price tag for customers in Europe and Asia in October. Tesla launched a program last year in Europe to use “freemium” subscription models in an effort to attract premium customers.

If customers already have Autopilot installed in their cars, they can plug it into any Tesla charging port and start to use the service.

Tesla, the auto-maker turned tech company, has been testing Enhanced Autopilot for several years. The program combines adaptive cruise control with full autonomous driving functions, most notably the Autosteer system. For its full feature set, though, drivers must still take over the steering wheel and brake pedal.

This article is republished from Quartz with permission from Business Insider. The original was published on Feb. 13, 2020.

This story originally appeared on Fortune.com. Copyright 2016