A 24-year-old local woman has died after being bitten by a rattlesnake while attending a Fourth of July picnic in Michigan.
Alexandra Lewin from Courtland, Mich., suffered the fatal snake bite while she and a group of family and friends were in York in northern Michigan over the weekend, according to the Times Herald.
The woman reportedly had three rattlesnakes around her neck when she was bitten around 11:30 p.m. Saturday. One of them had bitten her face, she was taken to Sparrow Hospital in Kalamazoo for treatment, according to the Herald. Lewin was placed on life support, but died on Tuesday.
Related: Be Careful Outdoors: Would You Treat a Snake Better if You Knew It Was Stomach-Eating?
"The doctor took the venom and tried to get that to save the life," family friend Helen Bobbitt told the Herald. "But she was just fine and that's all we asked of her."
Friends who were with the woman at the time of the bite said the snake bit the woman accidentally.
Rattlesnakes often eat mice, rats, geese, cats and dogs, according to Natural Resources.
Related: Hope for Snakebite Victims? One Company's New UV Bandages May Save Lives